Free class will introduce the ‘lost art’ of sewing

January 11, 2016 by

web-021216-KathleenNorman-SetUp

Kathleen Norman sets up one the sewing machines on loan from USD 333, as she gets a room at Club 81 ready for the “Sew Creative” class that will begin Feb. 29.

There are still a couple of spots available in a free class in sewing basics that begins later this month.

“Sew Creative” is an eight-week class that begins Feb. 29 and continues on Monday mornings from 9 to 11:30 through April 25 (there will be no class March 14). It will meet at Club 81, 105 W. Seventh St., in downtown Concordia. The class is presented by Neighborhood Initiatives, an office of the Sisters of St. Joseph, and registration is required, by calling or emailing Kathleen Norman at 243-2113, ext. 1215, or knorman@csjkansas.org.

SEW-logo-web-sized“Sewing is becoming something of a lost art,” Norman said. “When I approached some individuals about teaching or helping with the classes, we had long discussions about how necessary something like this is.

“Sewing is such a useful skill, simply in terms of being able to repair and maintain clothes,” she added, “But many people have never been taught how to sew, either because their mothers didn’t or it was no longer offered in school.”

In addition to Norman, there are three women who will volunteer their time to teach and assist with the sewing classes: Jean Wilcox, Sandra Detrixhe, and Sister Janet LeDuc.

This class will begin with the basics and teach participants how to repair clothes and even alter thrift-store bargains. No sewing experience is needed to sign up for the class.

Child care and all materials for the classes will be provided free, thanks to donations and support for a variety of individuals, companies and organizations. Sewing notions and other materials have been donated by Dritz, while The Sewing Machine Project of Minona, Wis., has provided machines. USD 333 has also loaned six sewing machines for the class, and there have been cash donations from Walmart and two individuals. The Sisters of St. Joseph are also providing support for the classes.

If individuals are not able to attend this class, Norman will have a waiting list for the next class planned for later this spring.

Comments

13 Responses to “Free class will introduce the ‘lost art’ of sewing”

1. Ivy on April 5th, 2019 11:43 am

Is this class still offered? Would love to learn but have no one to show me.

2. Kristina on February 20th, 2016 10:57 pm

Can you put me and my two daughters in your list please!

3. S. Carm Thibault on February 16th, 2016 7:56 pm

What a great project and way to bring skills to folks! Congrats, Kathleen………for getting it going!

4. Marcie Mallette on February 14th, 2016 5:50 pm

This sounds like a great opportunity. Please add me to the list for the spring class. Thank you!

5. Sarah Jenkins on February 14th, 2016 1:29 pm

Marge, Thank you for your interest. We don’t yet have the details of when the second Sew Creative class will start. You’ve been added to the waiting list and Kathleen Norman will send you an email.

6. Kathleen Norman on February 14th, 2016 1:25 pm

Jennifer, Thank you for your interest. Right now, the class is full. You’ve been added to the waiting list and Kathleen Norman will send you an email.

7. Kathleen Norman on February 14th, 2016 1:20 pm

Mary, Thank you for sharing! Would you be interested in teaching or assisting with the next session of Sew Creative?

8. Marge Huelsmann on February 14th, 2016 11:48 am

I would be interested in the spring classes.

9. Jennifer Rupert on February 13th, 2016 8:57 pm

I am interested in taking this class.

10. Mary Knapp on February 13th, 2016 4:35 pm

I should have said in my first post that I did my student teaching in the fall of 1972 at Concordia High School (I am originally from Clay Center). I graduated from KSU in May 1973.

11. Mary Knapp on February 13th, 2016 4:32 pm

Sewing is becoming a “lost art”. I grew up sewing beside my mother…she taught me many wonderful things while we shared that time together. Home Economics in high school furthered my desire to carry this forward so I became a Home Economics teacher. Although I left the subject area and then became a librarian I watched for 28 years what Home Economics in schools was teaching the students. Sad to say, they are not learning to sew (my favorite part of the curriculum). Now retired from school, I spend many enjoyable hours with my machine. What a wonderful hobby it is now. Thank you Kathleen Norman for sharing your knowledge with those that want to learn to sew!

12. Kathleen Norman on February 13th, 2016 2:03 pm

13. Nedra Kisby on February 13th, 2016 11:29 am

I would love to receive information for the next class in spring time so I can adjust my schedule

Feel free to leave a comment...