Sister Nancy Meade — Dec. 10, 1938-Oct. 14, 2019

October 14, 2019 by

Sister Nancy Meade died Oct. 14, 2019, at Nazareth Motherhouse in Concordia, Kan. She was 80 years old and a Sister of St. Joseph of Concordia for 60 years.

She was born in Abilene, Kan, on Dec. 10, 1938, to Cornelius and Minnie Lake Meade, the youngest of six children, and was baptized Nancy Helen. She entered the Sisters of St. Joseph of Concordia on Sept. 8, 1958. On March 18, 1959, Nancy received the habit of the Sisters of St. Joseph and was given the name Sister Marie Cecile, later changing back to her baptismal name. She pronounced first vows on March 19, 1960, and final vows on March 19, 1963.

Sister Nancy received a B.M.Ed. in music education in 1967; followed by a M.M.Ed. in music education in 1972 from the University of Colorado. This was followed by a B.F.A. in theater from Stephen’s College in Columbia, Mo., in 1982. She taught in schools staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph in Aurora, Ill., Gladstone, Mich., Boonville, Mo., and Silver City, N.M. After retirement she moved to the Motherhouse in 2014.

Sister Nancy was preceded in death by her parents, three brothers and two sisters. A Bible Vigil Service will be held at 7 p.m. Oct. 17, 2019, in the Nazareth Motherhouse Chapel with Sister Faye Huelsmann as the eulogist. The Mass of Christian Burial will be at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 18, 2019, in the Motherhouse Chapel with Father Barry Brinkman presiding. The internment of cremains will be in the Nazareth Motherhouse Cemetery.

Chaput-Buoy Mortuary, 325 W. Sixth St., Concordia, Kan., is in charge of arrangements. Memorials for Sister Nancy Meade may be given to the Sisters of St. Joseph Health Care/ Retirement Fund or the Apostolic Works of the Sisters; P.O. Box 279, Concordia, Kan., 66901.

To make an online donation in Sister Nancy Meade’s memory, click on the button below:

DonateNow

Comments

14 Responses to “Sister Nancy Meade — Dec. 10, 1938-Oct. 14, 2019”

1. Patricia Devine on October 17th, 2019 8:55 am

Sr. Nancy loved life and she projected that love to her students and everyone she encountered. Her confidence in my singing and acting, propelled me towards cantoring at Mass. No one I’ve ever met, had her ability to motivate students, Mom’s, Dad’s and community members, to learn countless lines, build beautiful sets and sew authentic costumes, to create beautiful musicals. If she made it to the Pearly Gates, her and her squinty smile, are no doubt, already arranging her first musical in Heaven. Bravo Sr. Nancy.

2. Pbanz on October 16th, 2019 2:57 pm

Sister Nancy was an inspiration in Boonville when I was a teenager. I still sing in my Seattle church choir over 40 years later. God bless her and surround her with all the music her heart can hold. Thank you Sister Nancy.

3. David larm on October 15th, 2019 8:46 pm

My first guitar teacher, even though it wasn’t “kosher” at the time she showed me great KISS and Randy Rhoads licks in my guitar lessons. Made me want too play more,showed me and my classmates a great appreciation of the arts.

4. Lisa VanHoose on October 15th, 2019 7:10 am

So sorry to hear this. She was such a big part of my years at Ss. Peter & Paul, and I can’t imagine all the time and energy she put into our school musicals, which are my favorite memories.
    Rest In Peace Sr. Nancy and enjoy the beautiful music in heaven.

5. Debbie Gerke-Zoeller on October 14th, 2019 11:32 pm

Truly a wonderful lady ❣so very glad she was at SS PETER & PAUL in Boonville for so many years! My 3 sons all had her for music. My Mom worked in the school kitchen at that time and they kept in touch for several years. The tradition of musicals she started is still going on at Thespian Hall. My boys were in Sound of music, Wizard of oz, Bye Bye Birdie, and Oliver to name a few. She was loved by the parents as well as the students. I’M sure she’s singing in heaven now❣‍♀️❤❤❣

6. Beth Jackson-Rumbaoa on October 14th, 2019 9:12 pm

Sr. Nancy fueled my love of singing and harmonies. I loved her when I was a student and was fortunate enough to enjoy making more music at chuch with her a couple decades later. Such an infectious spirit. RIP Sr. Nancy…. God needs your singing and playing in heaven…!

7. Jeannette Mercier on October 14th, 2019 9:11 pm

She was a wonderful woman and she was fun to work with on her musicals. We had some great laughs. She will be a great addition to heaven. Love you always, Sister Nancy

8. Joseph Gulino on October 14th, 2019 8:16 pm

One of the dearest and greatest friends of my lifetime. We had a great time alway, and the children/students always came first. The musicals that she directed and turned students and parents loose on, and the performance weeks were what Catholic School education is all about… modeling and family! I am in Alabama now and will be in Memphis working with another Catholic School on the 18th, but will be there in spirit. God love this great woman! We all did! Remember everyone, “Bless Her Heart!

9. Eric McNeal on October 14th, 2019 7:23 pm

Heaven gained a wonderful soul. I attended SS. Peter and Paul School in Boonville, Missouri. I was among the only protestants in the school – and she never treated me any differently. We talked about faith and music – she was an ear during a very rough time for me.

I lost track of her when I went to high school and often found myself wondering how she was. A couple years ago, I managed to find her contact information and was able to call her during the Christmas season. I will always treasure that twenty minute phone call. I will forever be indebted to this wonderful woman of God for her guidance.

God Bless, Sister Nancy. See you on the other side.

10. L Engle on October 14th, 2019 7:22 pm

We taught together at SSPeter&Paul school in Boonville, MO for many years. I also loved doing make-up during 6-7-8 grade plays with her. I had the most respect for her and her talent in music was remarkable. Rest In Peace Sr Nancy

11. Happy Thornburg on October 14th, 2019 6:26 pm

We sang together for several years, and worked together on musical productions. What a talented, bubbly, wonderful person. Love and peace to her, and to her community and family

12. Ana A Kelley on October 14th, 2019 5:46 pm

I am so saddened to know of Sr. Nancy’s passing. I loved working with her at St. Mary’s In Silver City, NM. Oh the joy of our music group and the wonderful experiences we provided for kids doing theater musical productions! She was a talented musician and such fun to be with!! I will miss her! My condolences to all who love her…

13. Margaret Noreus Smith on October 14th, 2019 5:46 pm

Sr M Cecile taught me piano and organ lessons and I think she introduced me to the guitar. Rest on peace dear Sister.❤️

14. Donna Reynolds on October 14th, 2019 4:15 pm

I am so sad to hear of Nancy’s passing. I love her dearly. Her laughter and kind words will be missed.

Feel free to leave a comment...