Eulogy for Sister Rose Moos, Aug. 10, 1920-Sept. 6, 2013

September 6, 2013 by

web-2010RoseMoosMUG2-copyVIGIL: Sept. 8, 2013, at the Nazareth Motherhouse, Concordia
EULOGIST: Sister Jean Befort

In May 2010, just a few months before her 90th birthday, Sister Rose Moos completed the writing of her Life Review.

As I read it in preparation for her eulogy, I was most inspired by her life and so amazed at her beautiful telling of her life’s story. I knew I could not improve on it, so I will read it as she wrote it, as though Sister Rose is telling you of her life.

I was the first of eight children born to August and Mary Halblieb Moos of Brownell, Kan., on Aug. 10, 1920. This event took place in St. Anthony Hospital, Hays, where Sister Clarinda, CSA, gave me the name of Clara Anna. As time went on, six sisters and one brother came into the family. My siblings in order of birth are Cecelia, Dolores (deceased), Irene, Marie, Teresa (deceased), Paul and Anna.

Besides myself becoming a religious sister, my sister Dolores became a Sister of St. Joseph of Wichita. Her religious name was Regina Marie; she died in 1993. My youngest sister, Anna, is a Sister of the Divine Spirit and lives in Erie, Pa. Her religious name is Ann.

I attended grade school in a one-room school near Brownell. After my graduation from eighth grade, my parents wished to send me to Sacred Heart High School in Salina. Because my mother was unwell and needed my help, I stayed home one year, and then became a freshman at Sacred Heart, attending there for two years. I graduated from Trego Community High School in Wakeeney.

Since we lived on the farm, there were many times when we were asked to help with the many activities required to earn a living. The Dust Bowl years and the Depression made extra sacrifices necessary. My mother taught us how to cook, clean and sew – things that made life easier in convent living.

Early in life my parents taught us our religion, love for prayer, especially the rosary. We lived 22 miles from church so it was late before we reached home after Mass. Those were the days requiring a fast from midnight. On Sundays when it was impossible to attend Mass my father read the gospel for the day and led the rosary.

Before leaving for high school, my mother explained the promises of the Sacred Heart hoping I would be able to make them. Since I was working for my room and board in Salina, this meant going to an early Mass and later returning to Sacred Heart School for classes. The first Friday in January that year happened during the time I was at home for Christmas holidays, so my father had to take me to church so that I would not break the sequence of Fridays. It was an early and cold trip but my parents made the sacrifice. The following spring my family and our home were consecrated to the Sacred Heart.

After my graduation from high school Sister Gabriella wrote me a letter saying the sisters at Sacred Heart felt that I had a vocation and asking if I might be considering such a step. I did not respond to her letter and tried to put all thought of it from my mind. After a year of resisting the call, I decided to enter in the summer of 1940. Sister Rudolph had asked the question that made the last step inevitable. I became a Sister of St. Joseph of Concordia on March 19, 19412, being given the name of Sister Rose Anthony. I made final profession in 1945.

The young women who entered the same time I did were Sisters Henrita Denecke, Firmina, Lillian, Marquita Murguia, Denise, Jovita and Agnes Therese. Just Sister Marquita and I are left.

Shortly after my first profession I was sent to Grand Island, Neb., to replace a sister whose health required that she return to the Motherhouse. I earned my 30-hour certificate at Marymount College and began my teaching years in Concordia. I taught grades varying from kindergarten through eighth grade, filling in various grades as needed. I had no desire to teach high school. Later I went to Sacred Heart and schools in western Kansas. I spent five happy years in Silver City, N.M. During my first year in Silver City my father died – on Feb. 14, 1950. After Vatican II and the changes in community living, I spent 12 years in Leawood, Kan.

When I was teaching I would attend summer school at Marymount, and I received my BA in 1957. Then I went to St. Mary College, Leavenworth, for a master’s degree in 1967. Because I was interested in library science, I also took post-graduate courses at Emporia and Hays, and then went to Kansas City to work in the library at Cure of Ars School. Sister Mary Joseph Fraser was our local coordinator and collegial living made many changes in community life.

During these years there was also time for prayer and spiritual growth. Each year had time set aside for a retreat. I also attended an intensive journal workshop and a charismatic convention, which led to a desire to make a 30-day retreat at Hales Corner in 1978. These were religious experiences in prayer given as great gifts from God, which I would not exchange for all the world. I thank our community for making those possible.

Our Lord demonstrated his great love for me in ways that could not be surpassed. From then on praying the Word of God meant a great deal to me. I was fortunate to find a spiritual director who was a great help to me in growing spiritually. I am deeply grateful for his assistance.

As a librarian, I joined the Catholic Library Association, One step led to the next; I was elected as vice president, president elect. Then I was asked to complete Sister Teresa Rigel’s term and then to serve my own. I was a member of the editorial board of the Catholic Library Worth for five years. Thanks to my religious community, I was able to attend convention at various cities. These years gave me opportunities I never dreamed of and each a time of personal and educational growth.

The spring of 1987 again found me changing my ministry to Wakeeney. My mother was in ill health and by the end of that summer, we both knew she needed care for the remainder of her life. With permission from my community, I resigned my position as librarian and computer teacher at Sacred Heart to stay with her until her death July 29, 1989. I also gave care to other elderly women as a senior companion; I spent some time doing light housework, but spent most of the time listening and “being there.” I tried to give them the care I felt our blessed Mother would give. This allowed them to remain in their homes and lead a dignified life. During this time I also taught classes in Christian doctrine to as many as 28 students in one of the classes. Later I became the coordinator of religious education at Christ the King Church in Wakeeney.

After my mother’s death, I continued to work as a senior companion in a government program that gave a salary for caring for an elderly person. In 1995, I was called back to Concordia to help Sister Francis Cabrini Wahlmeier at St. Mary’s Convent. In July 1997 Stafford Hall opened and the sisters at St. Mary’s were all transferred there on July 9.

Sister Francis Cabrini and I moved to 124 E. 10th St. in Concordia. We continued caring for the sisters at the Motherhouse – she assisted in the health care of our retired sisters and I became a seamstress, sewing and mending for the sisters as need arises. In May 2008 Sister Francis Cabrini became ill and we both made the Motherhouse our home. In 2009 I began making items for the Nazareth Gift Shop. Many have commented on my sewing, which seems to be a lost art, and I thank my mother for her patience in teaching me. It has come in handy in my senior years to be of service in that capacity.

During the years I was teaching, I also taught vacation school for many summers. I spent three years working with REACH, a program of religious education for the handicapped in Cure of Ars teaching CCD in the evenings. One year in Silver City, Sister Amelia and I taught in central New Mexico. My class of First Communicants that year reached 98.

For hobbies I’ve tried almost everything and anything – painting, watercolor, knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, sewing, baking, cooking, gardening, etc. There are not enough hours in the day! Life has been great and not the least of it has been my faith and the many gifts it has given me when the going was difficult.

As I come to the eve of my 90th birthday, this is a time of deep gratitude to our Lord for the many gifts and graces he has given me, which allowed me to serve him these many years that now seems such a short time. At this time I wish to thank each and everyone who made this possible for me. Now is also a time for me to ask myself how I am going to continue to serve our Lord for the remainder of my life.


Sister Rose asked herself a question at the end of her life story: How she would continue to serve God the remaining days of her life.

She was given about three more years. As she lived her earlier life of service and care, so she continued until her death. She visited the sisters at Mount Joseph, and still sewed and mended for the sisters and for projects at Neighbor to Neighbor.

Her prayer life deepened. The Rosary was one of her very favorite prayers. In was in July that she moved to Mount Joseph. Though she feared the day she would have to move there, she resigned herself to the wishes of her superiors. The times I visited with her she seemed content, saying she could only make each day count and accept the present moment.

As she lived her early life so she lived her elder years. She tried to accept her suffering, resigning to the will of God. On Friday evening at about 5 p.m., she died a very serene and peaceful death with sisters at her bedside. She truly now rests in the eternal love of her God.

• • • • • • •

Memorials for Sister Rose may be given to the Sisters of St. Joseph Health Care/Retirement Fund or the Apostolic Works of the Sisters; P.O Box 279, Concordia KS  66901. Or, you may give a gift in her memory online using PayPal, by clicking on the DONATE button below.



One Response to “Eulogy for Sister Rose Moos, Aug. 10, 1920-Sept. 6, 2013”

  1. Renee Boyajian on September 11th, 2013 6:51 am

    Sister Rose Anthony was my aunt. She, like all the other women in her family, was an absolute force of nature. She loved God and her faith. She was true and focused. She would ride along when sisters would come to Wichita and visit my mother, Irene. She just got better as she got older. She was a master at sewing. Her hand work was stunning. Her stitches were like little prayers. I am sure she is already busy getting things done in heaven. You go girl!!

Feel free to leave a comment...